Shad Jessen is a Director of Communication and University Web Strategy at Boise State University. He is responsible for website maintenance and ADA compliance.
Managing content for a robust university website and ensuring information remains compliant with requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Boise State University (BSU) has a relatively large website, totaling around 550 websites, 50,000 plus pages, and 11,000 documents. For the two full-time web accessibility employees and three part-time student workers, it was simply too much to manage manually.
“Our previous website management software was essentially unusable,” said Shad Jessen, BSU Director of Communications in the University Web Strategy Office of Information Technology. “Months would go by where the system could not diagnose problems. The inability to access data became a huge obstacle.”
BSU prides itself on being research-driven, inclusive, and assessable. Not being able to fix broken links or identify potential ADA liability issues left the school paying for a defunct web management tool and open to possible legal headaches. Ultimately, the previous vendor was replaced due to a medley of problems that were severe enough to render the system unnavigable completely.
BSU can now quickly and efficiently create and run policies. “The policies are simple to create and make my workdays much more productive because of the sheer speed at which Monsido allows us to filter our website during searches,” Jessen shares.
Critical Challenges Monsido Solved for BSU
- Fully catalog robust website content.
- Diligent scan of all web accessibility and web governance checks
- Quality assurance tool reports on broken links and misspellings for manual correction
- Built-in color contrast tool enables compliance with WCAG standards when evaluating old and new content
- Documents from the Public Health Office and other outdated content can be quickly identified and replaced
- The statistics module helps the content team find specific data or show unpopular web pages
- Inventory tools enable relevant page consolidation
- Broadly identify internal vs. external PDFs on the website